Time is Brain : BE FAST!October 21, 2018
Neurological problems are very common in all age groups. In certain situations, we need to consult our neurologist for proper treatment:
- Fever with headache, neck pain, vomiting, vertigo and drowsiness.
- Sudden severe headache, Persistent headache, Migraine, Facial pain.
- Sudden or progressive vision loss, drooping of eyelids, double vision.
- Imbalance or difficulty during walking/ repeated falls/ slowness in walking.
- Slurring of speech, difficulty in swallowing, facial deviation, drooling of saliva.
- Seizures, Epilepsy, any involuntary movement of body like tremors of hand.
- Stroke, Paralysis (as early as possible, window period: 4.5 hours for early treatment).
- Backache, neck pain, arm, pain, leg pain on bending, coughing, sneezing and walking.
- Bladder/ bowel disturbances (urgency, frequency, incontinence, dribbling, constipation).
- Tingling and numbness in hands and feet, thinning of limbs, abnormal temperature sensation.
- Memory loss, difficulty in naming, calculation and finding ways, change in behavior and sleep.
- Neuromuscular weakness of limbs (difficulty in gripping, doing overhead activities, standing. from sitting position, climbing upstairs), neck weakness.
Prevention of neurological problems:
- Community awareness.
- Stop Smoking & tobacco chewing, quit alcohol.
- Control of risk factors: Obesity, diabetes, hypertension, dyslipidemia/high cholesterol.
- Diet/life style modifications: daily brisk walking, exercise, yoga, diet rich in fruits & vegetables.
Dr Gourav Jain, MD, DM Neurology (PGI Chandigarh)